Many holiday makers and visitors, who are travelling to European countries, contact Il Rifugio degli Asinelli ONLUS regarding donkeys that they have seen which may be in difficulty, injured or appear to be in poor condition. Although Il Rifugio degli Asinelli ONLUS has no legal jurisdiction, we are increasingly more able to investigate and assist the donkey by providing advice and medical help if the owner is open to our offer. Il Rifugio degli Asinelli ONLUS often works in conjunction with other animal welfare organisations, enabling us to provide help in other countries. Thanks to people who are concerned for the welfare of donkeys forwarding information, we have been able to improve the lives of many of these animals.
If in doubt, always contact us and set your mind at rest. You can also use our Donkey Care Guide to check the requirements for keeping a donkey fit and healthy.
Take a note of what you've seen, using the checklist below. You will be asked to give a detailed description of what you have seen or heard, so be ready to give the following information:
- Your own name, address and telephone number for our records. We treat all information in strictest confidence, but we may need to contact you regarding your report or to let you know the result of any investigation.
- The date, time and place of the where the animals are. The more exact the details of the location the easier it will be for our staff and the quicker we can attend.
- Detailed description of your concern. For example – how many animals are there? How old do you think they are? What are the main problems you have observed?
- The names and addresses of any other people who might be able to provide useful information on the animals you have seen.
- Any other specific information that you think might be helpful to us. For example, the registration number and description of any vehicle involved or whether there are any specific times when you have seen people with the animals.
Any photographs showing the animals and their surroundings are always useful if these can be taken safely with absolutely no risk to you, other people or the animals involved.
If you are concerned about the welfare of any donkey, please contact us immediately.
Our staff will contact you as soon as we are able to discuss your concerns and let you know what we propose to do. We will also agree on how and when we will reply to you with information on our investigation if you would like to be kept informed.
- If you wish to proceed independently of us, you can report a written complaint by entering information, including address, in a letter to explain the points listed above. Enter the names of any witnesses. The complaint must be lodged at any police authority or to Segreteria Generale del Procuratore della Repubblica at the Court of jurisdiction in the place where the abuse is taking place. The complaint must be signed in the presence of a public official.
In case of emergency
- In some regions, a veterinarian is always available through the emergency number 118. You will be asked to leave your details and they will contact you promptly.
- Any judicial authority must act in the immediacy of the fact.
- If you are not able to contact competent authorities, please call us and we will try to resolve the situation.